[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2176: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2176: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4322: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4324: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4325: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
WannaKnow • View topic - Where has all the quality gone?

Return to Halton Region
 Return to Bargains/Shopping

This topic is visible to all WannaKnow sites throughout Canada Where has all the quality gone?

Found a bargain? Let your community know and post it in this forum!
Looking for something special in %s but can't find it? Ask your WannaKnow neighbours! *
Share on Facebook

Where has all the quality gone?

Postby Free Spirit » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:25 am

Where has all the quality gone? My mind is compelled to think back to the days of my youth when the products bought were of good quality and lasted for years. Once again, I’m drawn back to the question “Where’s the quality?”. Just today, I’ve already had two items break and I’ve only used them a few times: one is my garden hose and the other is the hose nozzle. I shouldn’t be too surprised by the hose seeing as it is the second one I’ve purchased this summer – the first one was defective and I returned it and bought a more expensive hose hoping for longevity.
As I speak, I have a package on my front porch for courier pick-up. It’s a defective printer cartridge that I’m sending back to the manufacturer – this is the third time this has happened to me this year.
Don’t get me started on kids’ toys. We bought our kids electric scooters for Christmas. Within a month or two of occasional use, the back tires were completely worn out. Off to the store we go to return them as they are still under warranty. We’re given a different scooter that is apparently better. No – wrong. Within days of using it, the scooter’s speed is less than 1 km on a full charge. By now, we know the routine and despite today’s gas prices, back to the store we go. This time, we’re given the same brand of scooter that we originally had but this time, the tires are new and improved!
In times like these where we’re encouraged to reduce, reuse and recycle, I’d like to reduce the number of times I have to return something and reduce the wasted gas and time in doing so. I’d like to be able to reuse something several times before it breaks down. And last, but not least, I’d like to perhaps recycle things by passing them on to others.
That's my rant for the day :P
Free Spirit
(Windsor Essex County)
Guide
Guide

Re: Where has all the quality gone?

Postby Archie Bunker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:34 am

Quality? What is that? I don’t even think that word is in the dictionary anymore. Everything you buy these days toys, furniture, clothes you name it, are a bunch of junk and most of it is made over seas. And believe it or not we the consumer are to blame. Yes you heard me correct…we are to blame.
Let’s go back some 30 years ago or so.
Mrs. Smith is looking for a new kitchen widget. She goes to the store and finds the widget isle and there is exact same widget she just wore out. It costs $10.00. But wait, right next to it is a similar (made in some foreign land) widget that is only $6.00. She buys the cheaper widget, and let’s face it nobody wants to spend more money than they have too. She takes home the widget and finds that it doesn’t do as good of job as her previous widget but she can live with it, after all she saved $4.00. Three years goes buy and the widget is worn out. Hmmm, her old widget lasted ten years. I guess the four dollar savings wasn’t really worth it in the end. Back to the store to buy another widget. The old $10.00 good quality widget is no longer available, instead there are a selection of cheaper lower quality import widgets. Why? Because everyone did the same thing Mrs. Smith did. They bought the cost saving widget. Now the only way for the company who made the more expensive better quality widget to survive it to lower their quality standards and have their widget made in a factory overseas.
Let us all enjoy our junk.
I may be incomprehensible, but I make a lot of sense.
Archie Bunker
(Windsor Essex County)
Contributor
Contributor

Postby paulmacl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm

You hit the nail on the head.

If our only criteria for buying something is price... then we have to be satisfied with low quality.

I sell premium, all natural, quality controlled from seed to package, made in North America supplements. How many people tell me "but I can get a 1,000 pill jug at Costco for $9"? Of course you can... from some unknown manufacturer in a country you probably can't trust made from chemicals and waste food products in a plant emplying children and belching pollution. Enjoy your healthy choice!

Somewhere along the line getting the best price became the only criteria for choosing between products. And we are suffering for it.
--
.../Paul Maclauchlan
Whizzo Canada
paulmacl

Postby Jack » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:08 am

Have you ever visited the Henry Ford Museum, everything made in "the good ol days" was wood and iron. Made to last and even to be handed down from generation to generation. I have found that those manufactures whether it be building products, automobiles or appliances build cheap to shorten the life of the product and therefore your buying again to keep the production lines moving. The older generation europeans bring to this country what little they had. But it was made to last. However, I can understand why there children refuse to use the butter churners and wash boards for laundry.
Jack
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Lucy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Just watches Death by China on Netflix. Wow, what an eye-opener!
Lucy
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Cedra » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 am

So funny seeing this here. We have been looking for bookshelves and coffee table. Everything is made of cardboard. I will learn to live with what I have or wait for hubby to get time to make something. We truly are a disposable society now. :cry:
Cedra
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby Life Learner » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi Cedra, My sister has a beautiful bookshelf that you'd see in a lawyer's office. It is definitely solid wood and there are some glass doors. If you're interested, I'll find out how much she is asking for it and post a picture. :D
Let everything become your teacher
Life Learner
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby Cedra » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:01 am

It has been ages, but I would love to see a photo of it and the asking price if it is still available Life Learner. I am not in the market for something overly expensive right now
Cedra
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Return to Bargains/Shopping
Return to Halton Region

Search

Advanced search