[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2176: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2176: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4322: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4324: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4325: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
WannaKnow • View topic - weekend getaway

Return to Halton Region
 Return to Sports/Leisure

This topic is visible to all WannaKnow sites throughout Ontario weekend getaway

Whether it's organized sports or leisure activities in the %s community, we'll discuss them all right here in this forum. Let's talk 'travel' too. *
Share on Facebook

weekend getaway

Postby guitarkicker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 am

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway and are looking for some suggestions. We thought about taking in a Blue Jay game in Toronto or going to Frankenmuth. We'd like to keep the drive to under 4 hours. Where have you been that you would highly recommend?
guitarkicker
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Re: weekend getaway

Postby paul » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Niagara Falls is always a good place for a weekend escape for couples. Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation for a hotel , because last time I went was at Great Wolf Lodge. Great for kids, not so great for couples ;)

Maybe someone else would have a suggestion for a hotel there...
paul
(Windsor Essex County)
Guide
Guide

Postby Silver Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:05 pm

What about taking in a play in Stratford and staying overnight? It's only 3 hours away from Windsor.
Niagara Falls is nice too. I always stay at the Radisson Fallsview and request a room facing the falls and make sure it's on one of the upper levels. It is well worth the extra $$$$ ;)
Silver Fox
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Lucy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:35 pm

What about Niagara on the Lake? It's about 4 hours away and you can see a theatrical production. They've got theatre and hotel packages too. Sounds romantic to me.
Check it out at www.shawfest.com
Lucy
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Life Learner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:00 am

In today's Windsor Star, there is a really nice insert about Ontario. It might give you a few ideas for your weekend getaway. ;)
Let everything become your teacher
Life Learner
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby baby ducky » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:12 pm

When ever we want to get away we hit the road with our tent and cooler and head up to elora gorge. it is SO beautiful! There is so much to do there. You can go tubbing in the gorge, kyaking and canoing and ever go swimmig a qwary. It's gorgeous! The camp ground we stayed at was right on the gorge and the scenery is out of this world. It might be a little cold this time of year but the colors would sure be beautiful. Give it a try....
Our baby boys first breath, took ours away.
baby ducky
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby guitarkicker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm

We finally had our weekend getaway. We had a good time in St. Jacobs, Elora and Stratford. St. Jacobs is a cute little town. I found 2 pairs of jeans at the Levis outlet store in under 10 minutes!! That alone was worth the trip. We stayed at the Benjamin Inn right on the main drag. It is a small 9 room hotel with a restaurant and on Friday nights they have a jazz guitarist. We assumed the music would play until 11 or 12, only to find that the restaurant and music were done at 9. So we decided to take a walk but the entire town was closed! The only thing open was the Home Hardware store.

Saturday morning we headed to Elora. We got there around 9:30 but nothing opened until 10. We wandered around and window shopped for a bit. Ten came and went and still the stores remained closed. Even the tourism building!!! We did see the gorge but I'm sure there was a better place to view it from. Tubing would have been very cool to do.

We headed over to Stratford next, had lunch, wandered around and rented a paddle boat.

All in all it was a good weekend but a word of advice if you go, find out what time shops open and close. I think next time we will plan a trip to a larger city for a show or hockey game and stop in small towns on the way back.
guitarkicker
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Life Learner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:04 pm

We just returned from a two day getaway in upper Michigan (about three hours from Detroit). We stayed at Huron House B & B near Oscoda Michigan and it was a great place to stay. :D
We stayed in the Iosco Suite and we had a private two person hot tub on our balcony! This place is right on Lake Huron so you see the sun rise in the morning and the moon shimmering at night. The innkeeper was terrific and the service was spectacular. The room was clean and very comfortable. The breakfast (which was brought to your room at the time you select) consisted of fresh fruit and a croissant drizzled with caramel and on the other morning, we had fresh fruit and an egg quiche-type meal. You get orange juice and coffee too and all is served on fine china.
You can walk the beach which is right outside your door and there is a little movie theatre in town too. They've got walking trails along the water too. If you're looking for a romantic getaway, check out http://www.huronhouse.com. :P
Attachments
view from balcony.jpg
view from balcony.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 13725 times
sunrise.jpg
sunrise.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 13725 times
our room.jpg
our room.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 13725 times
Let everything become your teacher
Life Learner
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby open2life » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Oh my goodness Life Learner, everything sounded wonderful!
I am so happy you "got away"!
When our little ones get bigger, this just might be a possibility.
Am going to have to remember this!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

~Dr. Seuss
open2life
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby baby blue » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:21 am

Wow, that place looks great. I betcha they'll be gettin a lot of new customers with that review!
baby blue
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Next

Return to Sports/Leisure
Return to Halton Region

Search

Advanced search