[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2176: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2176: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4322: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4324: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4325: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3524)
WannaKnow • View topic - Darned fruit flies

Return to Halton Region
 Return to House & Home

This topic is visible to all WannaKnow sites throughout Canada Darned fruit flies

We all have a house/home here in %s! Share your tips and helpful hints with your WannaKnow community. Let's talk about electronics in this forum too! *
Share on Facebook

Darned fruit flies

Postby paul » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Does anyone know how to get rid of those pesky fruit flies???
:x
paul
(Windsor Essex County)
Guide
Guide

Re: Darned fruit flies

Postby Life Learner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:34 pm

I had that problem too especially because I buy most of my fruit and veggies from Silverstein's and their produce is usually quite ripe. They've got great dollar bags though. Anyway, back to the fruit fly issue. Last year I bought a Lotus machine and the fruit flies are virtually gone now. This machine creates a mini electrical discharge to super-oxygenate ordinary tap water and it sanitizes the food. It's not a cheap gadget though as it cost me $170.00 :shock: I bought it after the last produce contamination scare. Anyway, that's an expensive way to get rid of fruit flies. I've attached a picture of this Lotus machine in case you haven't heard of it.
Attachments
lotus system.jpg
lotus system.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 58281 times
Let everything become your teacher
Life Learner
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby den mother » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:36 pm

last summer I filled a glass with water and sugar and the fies liked it very much. My daughter also says to use a peice of foil or parchment paper and mix some honey and sugar and a little bit of fruit juice.
den mother
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Home Body » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 pm

I heard that pouring vinegar down the kitchen drain is good because they can breed there too. :D
Home Body
(Windsor Essex County)
Guide
Guide

Postby Life Learner » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:26 pm

My lotus machine works great on fruit. I can leave a bowl of fresh fruit on my kitchen table and there is never a fruit fly around it. HOWEVER, I do have a fruit fly problem around my bananas which I leave on my kitchen counter. I never lotusize (new verb in our family) the bananas because I didn't feel the need to sanitize them due to their peel. Starting today, I'm going to lotusize the bananas too because this fruit fly question prompted me to read up on them and they lay eggs on the fruit :shock: - YUK
Life Learner
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby den mother » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 pm

I posted to use sugar water or a piece of paper with honey and sugar on it to attract those 'darn fruitflies'. I thought this is what we did last summer-but-today, I did this and it does not work!!! The piece of honey paper did attract a couple of wasps, that was not any fun though, because they do not even stick to it. I am sorry for the mis-imformation. One thing I do know for sure and it happens all the time, is; the fruitflies love red wine...but there is no way they can have a glass of that! i may have to break down and take out a loan for a 'lotus machine'. lol
den mother
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Lucy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:24 am

Where did you get that lotus machine??? I just might go out and get me one :D
Lucy
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Life Learner » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:58 am

I got it at that Linens & things store but it has since closed. I just check the Canadian Tire website and they don't have it there. Maybe they have it at Home Outfitters but I just checked their site and they don't have a 'search' feature - I hate that. Good luck. :D
Life Learner
(Windsor Essex County)
Elder
Elder

Postby baby ducky » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:02 pm

my husband and i had a problem with fruit flies just this past week. we went to walmart one night desperate to find a solution. They were so bad that our two cats were chassing after them. We found some fly traps (for regular flies). They did have traps specifically for fruit flies, but they were all sold out. We bought the regular ones anyway. THEY WORKED GREAT! by the next morning the fruit flies were pretty much gone. It's worth a try. :mrgreen:
Our baby boys first breath, took ours away.
baby ducky
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Postby Quick Silver » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 am

At the Canadian Tire in A'burg, they've got this fruit fly trap so-to-speak that lures, traps and eliminates fruit flies. It's not one of the those sticky paper things. It's like a jar thing. It's about $10 and is non-toxic and pesticide free. ;)
Quick Silver
(Windsor Essex County)
Leader
Leader

Next

Return to House & Home
Return to Halton Region

Search

Advanced search